Linguistic Packages is a new Smartling feature make it easier to manage Translation Memory, Style Guides, Glossaries and other assets across an account.
What are Linguistic Packages?
A Linguistic Package is a collection of assets and rules that influence translation quality and how Translation Memory is leveraged throughout the workflow. Assets include:
- Style Guide
- Translation Memory
- Leverage (previously called Sharing)
These assets already exist in your current Smartling Projects, but now you can manage assets for all your projects in one place.
What changes will I see in the Dashboard?
The primary change with Linguistic Packages is how Style Guide, Glossary, Translation Memory, and Leverage settings are managed. These assets are now managed for the entire Account rather than inside a Project.
- A navigation item in the top menu called "Assets".
- Translation Memory Sharing is now called "Leverage".
- Style Guide, Glossary, Translation Memory, and Leverage are managed for the entire account from this top navigation item.
- Style Guide, Glossary, Translation Memory, and Leverage will no longer be managed inside a Project.
- When creating a new Project you'll be asked to select a Linguistic Package for the Project rather than selecting individual assets.
We're also adding new functionality:
- Translation Memory can be managed on its own, separate from a Project.
- New options for Style Guide: attach files, rich text editing with links and formatting.
- Glossary: create a glossary hierarchy for use on a project, export to Microsoft Excel.
- Cross Language Leverage: Translation Memory can be leveraged across languages (e.g. use French-France translations for French-Canada).
Who will be affected by Linguistic Packages?
Linguistic Packages can only be managed by Account Owners and Project Managers. Translators continue to see the relevant information they need from the packages based on the content being translated.
How will my account be affected?
We'll be migrating all the Translation Memories, Style Guides, Glossaries, and Leverage settings of your current projects to Linguistic Packages for the account. Projects will be configured with the relevant Linguistic Package.
There will be no impact to translations in progress and no impact to translation resources.
Why did Smartling make this change?
We made this change as part of an ongoing effort to make functionality and assets reusable across projects, reduce the effort required to manage multiple Projects, and streamline Projects.
When will Linguistic Packages be released?
We expect to release Linguistic Packages on Monday, May 16.
How can I get more information? Is there training?
There will be two open training sessions. In these sessions the Smartling team will demonstrate the new functionality and answer questions.
- Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 4:00pm GMT / 11:00am ET / 7:00am PT (Register)
- Thursday, May 26, 2016, 9:00pm GMT / 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT (Register)