This article is for Translators and Editors.
Questions/comments for reviewer :
- What do we use to show/describe the info icon?
- It seems awkward to have a title Search and Use Translation Memory and then also cover machine translation (as instructed in the topic notes) available from the Language Resources Panel. Not sure of the info architecture here.
- Search TM and the Language Resource Panel (with fuzzy matches and MT) are already covered in the CAT Tool Overview topic, so there is some repetition. Again, info architecture?
- For both MT and searched TM, could add that, once the translated string is in the target field, it can be modified. Too obvious?
- Last screen shot (MT) is optional, though it felt like the para might get lost without it.
- Should we say where the MT comes from?
- What is the consistent way to refer to "the string you are working on"? Since there are translations all over the place on this screen, I think the target field needs to be clarified.
In addition to viewing previous translations for similar strings (fuzzy matches) in the Language Resources panel, you can search all of the available translation memory to see past translations for any string, in any target language.
Search Translation Memory
To search the translation memory, while in the CAT Tool click Search TM. Select a target language to display in the drop down menu.
Display String Details
Hover over the (i) icon beside a string in the search results list to display details about the translated string (source project, created date, created by, and translation status).
Insert TM Search Result
Click the down arrow beside a string in the search results list to insert the translated string into the translation column beside the string you are working on.
Start with Machine Translation
Smartling displays a machine translation (MT) for each string in the Language Resources panel. Click on the MT string to insert it into the translation column of the string you are working on.